Is an (ex)Spouse’s Tax Problem YOUR Tax Problem?

If you are having trouble with your spouse or if you’ve recently gone through a divorce, you’ve probably had enough emotional distress.

So what happens if you discover your (ex) spouse was not forthcoming on your last joint tax return? Are you responsible for a spouse or ex-spouse’s tax problem? Take a deep breath and know there is an option for you. It’s called Innocent Spouse Relief.

Innocent Spouse Relief will clear you of liability, interest, and penalties as long as the return was filed jointly. This brings hope to spouses who were kept in the dark about tax problems, discrepancies, or lies.

There are certain qualifications for Innocent Spouse Relief.

You may qualify if you filed a joint return that had an understatement of tax due to erroneous items of your spouse (or former spouse). You must be able to prove that when you signed the joint return you did not know, and had no way to know, that there were falsities in the tax return. When this can be sufficiently documented, the IRS may determine that it would be unfair to hold you liable for the understatement of tax.

Obviously, a request for Innocent Spouse Relief will not be approved if the IRS proves that you and your spouse (or former spouse) were involved in fraud. This could mean intent to defraud the IRS or another party, such as a creditor, another ex-spouse, or business partner.

To learn more about our services see:

Please follow and like us: